Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Locket and My Sisters Ashes

I am the youngest of five daughters. My mother died young, when I was only 15. My father died shortly after. We all had a tough childhood and my sister Kelly, who was three years older than me, were inseparable as kids. We were always together. As we grew up and had families of our own, we weren't nearly as close. But as kids we had many ghostly experiences together. Or so we thought. And we always talked about how we would give each other signs if one of us were to pass.

A few months back, Kelly passed on way too young and very suddenly. Needless to say we were all devastated.  Her husband had her cremated and had lockets made up with her ashes in it for her young children and her sisters that wanted them. I turned it down because the concept freaked me out a bit.

One Sunday a few months after Kelly's death, my sisters and kids were over my house for a get together. My sister brought her locket with Kelly in it and hung her up on our deck so she could be there with us. Well of course when she left, she forgot the necklace hanging outside.

We had bad thunderstorms that night and all night long I dreamt of Kelly in the rain. It wasn't until the next morning I realized the locket was still at my house! I took it and placed it in a cup in my china cabinet and called my sister a little freaked out. I wanted her to come get the necklace.

After work that day I checked on the locket to be sure it hadn't moved. I was scared to death I would lose the thing! I called my sister again to come and get it. About an hour later we sat down on the deck to eat dinner, my family and I. They had just gotten home. I was eating when I looked down and saw something shiny by my foot. When I picked it up, it was a locket like the one with Kelly's ashes in it. My first reaction was that one of her kids had lost theirs the day before as well. I rushed in to put it with the other one, and give them a call. I was so worried they were upset looking for it. When I opened the china cabinet, the original locket was gone! My sign?

Written by Kristi Tallone, Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment