Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Truth About Grandpa

It was 2007 when me and my family had made a visit to Bangladesh which we do every two years. I was sitting down, reading a book when a man I had never seen before in my life comes sits next to me. He claimed he knew me since I was a little kid but I didn't believe it because a lot of beggars do that to get money out of you over there. He asked me if I remembered him and I said no, he told me he knows everything about me like where I live and stuff. My dad had stepped into room. I told my dad in English to tell the man to go away, my dad looked at me suspiciously and said what man? I turned only to see that the man was gone.

Five weeks had gone since I last seen the mysterious man. We had two days left until we get back to England. My granddad had been awfully quiet since we arrived here. Usually he would go over the moon when he sees us but this time it was different, he was different.

It was time for us to go. My body felt like it had been left in a freezer for five days even though it was boiling outside. My granddad was praying and we were out the door. The mysterious man had shown up. He asked me if I don't really remember him. I said no but then he started to cry as though he lost an arm. He then said to me that I was the only one who knew the truth. I then said what truth, he told me that the man who had claimed to be my grandfather was an imposter and killed my granddad two years before I was born. He told me how I should've remembered him.

He told me that when I was six I came here. Mom said I had an imaginary friend back then. He told me that he was the imaginary friend and that he told me the truth so that I can tell everyone.

I had come back to England but I didn't tell anyone anything because I didn't want to look crazy. I know what they should know but this knowledge dies with me.

Written by Abu Fateh, Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment