Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Does Anyone Really Die?

My grandmother died a few years ago and although we had all experienced death before, this time it hit us all hard, it was almost unbearable.

A few months after she had passed away, we finally plucked up the courage to start to sort out her house.

In one of the upstairs bedrooms we found a piece of paper labeled 'My Funeral'. Having never spoken about the subject with my Gran, we were all shocked to discover all of the readings  and the hymns we had chosen had been pre-written on the page.

A short while later, while we were sorting out the downstairs of her house, my Uncle found a calendar with the dates of the 23rd and 24th September circled on it. We were all amazed at this COINCIDENCE since there had been much dispute as to whether my Nan had died late at night on the 23rd or in the early hours of the 24th.

My Nan had always been a superstitious person and had promised us that death would not stop her taking action in our lives. Before she died she had promised two particular rings, to my sister and myself, since we were the eldest female grand-children. However, on her death my Aunt (my Uncles wife) decided she wanted them. Remembering my Nan's promise, we reluctantly let her have everything.

Within a few months she became seriously depressed and could no longer appreciate life. They emigrated to Australia, but soon came back because she could no longer find happiness anywhere. Now my Uncle has divorced her and is much happier on his own with his sons. My Nan always fought her corner.

Sent in by Charlene Hewett, Copyright 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment