Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Myth that Came True

My father tells a scary story to my little cousins each year.  It's always the same one, but every year a new child is invited into our family, seeing as I have many aunts, uncles, older cousins, and siblings. He tells this story and makes one of his children (it's mostly me) go outside with a mask on and scare the kids. They still haven't figured out it isn't true. But one night when I was babysitting all of my younger cousins, which is estimated about 10 (I'm not even kidding). It was midnight and they had been asleep for a few hours. My parents and aunts/uncles were still not home, I was the only one up. I heard a bang upstairs and yelled, "get back to sleep!" For another few minutes it was quiet. I went back to reading my book. I got hungry and decided to get an apple from the kitchen. Our house in kind of big, and to get from the living room to the kitchen there is a long hallway with windows lined up all the way on both sides. It was windy outside, so when I heard tapping on the window, I ignored it and told myself it was just a tree. When I got back into the living room, one of my cousins was curled up on the couch with tears in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"She's up there." he whispered hesitating to look at the staircase.

"Who? What's up there!?"

"Witchy-poo." (which is the creative made up name my father gave the make believe creature that roamed our neighborhood at night)

"Look, Joe. Witchy-poo isn't real... My father made him up to scare you."

"Then what's laying on the floor in your room?" He looked into my eyes with no sign of any joke.

I told him to stay on the couch and not move and that I would go up and check on the others. I slowly walked to the end of the hall where my room was, which is where everyone was sleeping. When I opened the door, I saw a black figure laying on the floor but as soon as the door clicked, it twitched its head up and disappeared. I couldn't yell or even talk. I turned the light on, knowing it would wake SOMEONE up, which would wake everyone up and I ran downstairs. I turned on every light I could and waited for every child to come downstairs. I told them everything was okay, just that their parents would be there soon... My parents arrived home and so did my cousins parents. They went home, and my parents went to sleep. I was too afraid to go into my room again. I tried thinking of explanations. I thought it was probably just a ghost. Witchy-poo couldn't be real.

Later the next day, I told my best friend, Max what had happened and he agreed to stay over night that night with me (we're just friends) and see what happens. I haven't seen or heard anything since. Accept for one time when I was completely alone in my basement and the back door swung open. But that could've been the wind, so I don't think of that much as a ghostly experience.

Sent in by Ava, Copyright 2010 Ghost-Space.com

No comments:

Post a Comment