Thursday, March 3, 2011

Strange Creature in the Woods on the 4th of July

When I was six or seven years old, my grandfather and I were at a 4th of July party out in the country. The place we were at had a lot of woods around it, especially at the back of the property.

We had run out of firewood for the fire, so my mom told grandpa to take me into the woods to get some more.  Always up for a walk through the woods, my grandpa agreed. We were walking along a little trail, picking up sticks and branches off of the  ground.

A good distance into the woods, we started hearing these weird noises. They were like bad horror movie sound effects; gurgling and random babbling. I asked my grandpa about it, and he said we must be near a creek. We kept walking a little longer before deciding to turn back. That's when I noticed something lying in a bush. I pointed to the thing and asked my grandpa what it was. He told me he didn't know, so he went to look. As he approached, the creature stood up. It was about the size of a 5th grader, close to 5 feet tall. It wore some sort of shirt, the material, by the light of my flashlight, comparable to denim.  My grandpa was frozen for a moment, staring at the creature as it stared at him. It then turned and ran.

In reality, it only lasted maybe a minute.  My grandpa then took me back to the party. When we arrived, I asked my grandpa what the thing was.  He told me 'I don't know, Kate, I don't know"

I'm now 12 and this event still haunts my dreams.

Written by Katherine Letts, Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment