Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Bodmin Beast

This story takes place some years ago when I was about 15 years old.

Me, mum and her partner were coming back from a trip around Cornwall, It was summer and late afternoon so there was still plenty of light.

I remember sitting in the back seat of the car staring out of the window and daydreaming about nothing in particular when I noticed a large black dog walking in the fields in the distance.

Nothing about this would have been strange if I hadn't then noticed that there were no people around. A dog on its on in the middle of no where is a bit odd which got me thinking.... Its form didn't appear quite right.

Its body was long and slender and it slinked along slowly and purposefully with its head down, not the usual shape or action for a dog yet it was too large to have been a cat. Far too large.

The moment of had passed and the creature was out of sight of our car which was trundling on down the road. I remember pondering briefly of sharing with mum what I had just witnessed and if she had noticed it too however this thought quickly left my mind and I decided It probably didn't matter anyway.

This now remains as one of those dusty memories filed away to be enjoyed only at campfires or cold nights curled up on the settee.

Sent in by Lis

1 comment:

  1. well, rather than a creature of legend I believe what you saw to be a cougar or panther, although I am well aware that they are not native to the UK; in the 1900s many wealthy people had them as pets and when that became ilegal they were forced to release them into the wild. Since then there have been numerous sightings. all the way from southern England to the highlands of scotland.

    ReplyDelete